Rita and Merl Baker have lived on the corner of Forest and Sound Beach Avenues since 1985. A Greenwich native, Rita taught world languages at GHS for 37 years.
The house now known as 2 Forest Avenue was built in 1875 by Oliver Lockwood (1831-1906). It was acquired in 1894 by Walter Burley (d.1909), descendants of whom live on Forest Avenue to this day.
Between 2013 and 2015 the Bakers completely restored the house, reproducing, for example, the original exterior shingle pattern discovered in a long bricked-up stairwell in the basement.